14 March 2010

The Reunion (By Karin Novelia)

The Reunion
(By Karin Novelia)

The five of us sat at my wooden colonial table eating the Christmas dinner I had prepared. The honey-roasted turkey and black-peppered meatloaf helped lift the festive mood. After dinner and catching up we sat around the fireplace underneath the shade of the Christmas tree. It had been nearly five years since we had seen each other and I felt Christmas was the perfect time for a reunion.

Over a dozen colorfully wrapped presents were waiting under the tree. Pamela, my best friend and owner of a rocketing fashion boutique had given everyone a new fashion item. I stared at my new dyed scarf in half-dislike. It looked like a paintball machine had thrown up on it. I just said thank you for the uniqueness. Brian, the “brain” of our group gave everyone a book. I loved the Agatha Christie mystery novel. Jake gave everyone a variety of watches while I gave everyone something that fit them. I gave Pamela new Prada heels, Brian a new chemistry set, Jake an Armani jacket, and Stacey a charm bracelet. With teary eyes she gave me my own present.

“What’s this?” I asked curiously. Mine was so much bigger than everyone else’s.

“Well, since you were always getting sick during high school, I made this so you knew what you were missing and what we went through.” Stacey’s light blue eyes sparkled with expectation. I slowly tore apart the wrapping and smiled at what was inside.

“A scrapbook?” I said as I opened it. I leafed through the pages and stopped to reminisce at every photograph; First day of high school, “Evening of Art” performance, Christmas Party, the Football game up to our Graduation Day. I cried at the last few pages. It was group photos of us six. All six of us. The last photo was what really made me nostalgic. Covered with hearts, red glitter, and cupid was a photo of me and Steven. The boy I fell in love with and lost all those years ago.

I sobbed in Stacey’s arms. “I know you miss him,” she whispered consolingly. After an uneasy silence filled with my crying, I sat up and wiped my tears.

“Come on, guys!” I said cheerfully in contrast with my crying just seconds ago. “Let’s add another photo to the album! In front of the tree everyone!”

Click! The photo turned out perfectly, and everyone prepared to go home. “Are you going to be okay, Natalie?” asked Stacey before she went out the door. I nodded, a slightly awkward tension building up between us. She was Steven’s lover too. At least she was before we started falling for each other.

“It’s Christmas Eve. I’ll be okay.” The door closed and I was all alone. I stared at the six-seat table and at the empty seat. Suddenly, this reunion did not feel like one. I lay in bed until midnight. It was Christmas morning but I could not sleep. I wandered outside my house in the snowy winter morning.

I wandered into the city park and sat on the bench where we had made a promise to be together no matter what. The sun began to rise. I cried on that bench. Steven had joined the army and had gone to Iraq. There was an explosion and he was never found. If only I could see him again…

“I thought I’d find you here.”

The voice made my heart stop. I turned around and ran into the man’s arms. “Steven!” It was the perfect Christmas gift. Now, this felt like a reunion.

No comments:

Post a Comment